Friday, December 16, 2005

My 1st Dive Trip

I got an Open Water Scuba Diving course for my birthday from my hubby this year. It's something that I've been thinking about doing for a very long time. Finally I got to experience first hand what all the fuss was about. And it was GREAT!

The feeling when you are breathing underwater and swimming with the fishies is just incredible. There was some anxiety just before the first two dives but after that it wasn't so bad.

For the open water dives we headed up to one of the islands along the West coast of Malaysia called Pulau Dayang. It was 3D2N over the weekend. It started with a 3 hour (approx.) drive up from Singapore to the jetty at Mersing (M'sia). Then it was a 3-4 hour boat ride out to the island. We did 3 dives on the first day and 2 more in the morning on the second day before leaving the island in the afternoon.

I so loved the entire experience. The feeling of weightlessness was quite liberating. But the best part of it all for me was simply the ability to breath normally while staying underwater.

My instructor passed his underwater camera to me on our 4th dive and it just suddenly opened up another whole new experience. And needless to say I loved it.

To top off an already great experience, we encountered a pod of dolphins while on the way back to the mainland. That was such a thrilling experience. Prior to going up our instructor was telling us about how he had seen a pod of dolphins on his way back just a few weeks before, and about how that was quite a rare sighting. So when we encountered the pod it was really unexpected. According to our instructor, that was only his second sighting in the whole of this year and he has been making trips back and forth almost every weekend. The encounter was just absolutely exciting. Especially when the pod swam right under the front of the boat.

That was my first dive trip but it most definitely won't be my last. =)

Photo sources:
Image 2 is courtesy of Frank. To see more of Frank's images from the trip click here.


To see more of my trip images, click here.

No comments: