Monday, July 31, 2006

Another Quicky Update

Well I'm back in Singapore. I was surprised when I realized I've been back for more then 1 week. Had loads to do almost immediately after my return, hence the lack of any entries till now. I've got a bit a free time today so I thought to put up this short note.

The trip to Japan was a very interesting experience. I am having a rather hard time trying to find the right words to describe my experience in it's entirety. Interesting is about as close and as neutral as I can get for now. I had fun and I got to experience stuff that the usual tourist to Japan would probably not know of. But there were also certain incidences that I would have preferred it not to have occurred.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but this trip has kind of de-mystify Japan for me. Before I went there, Japan and it's people have always been somewhat exotic to me. The language, food and some of the more commonly known cultural aspects have always fascinated me. But now having gone there and stayed with the locals and interacted with the people, I find that the exotic imagery I had have been replaced. All things Japanese is no longer exotic but have become a part of the world.

Beneath all the famous Japanese politeness are a people that is not much different from you or me. Although they are generally more courteous and polite (especially when compared to Singaporeans in general), the politeness isn't found everywhere and towards everyone as I had imagined. And sometimes their politeness can be used as a mask to prevent their true feelings or intentions from showing. Oh well everyone is different and I suppose that is just one of the many aspects that makes the Japanese different.

Anyway I will try to edit through the 1200+ images that I shot during my trip and post some more up here along with some of the pix from the Korean trip.

No comments: